Monday 19 April 2010

Holy Graded Unit, Batman!

SO, I'm doing my Graded Unit in college right now. Basically it's a really intense unit where we're given a choice of briefs which we then have to complete in 3 sections: Planning, developing, and evaluation. We're given a mark for each and then given a grade, either A, B or C, at the end. The brief I chose is "Book and Box - The Human Body". Considering how interesting I find the human body and anatomy etc, I thought I'd find this not easy, but easIER than other subjects.

WROOOOOOOONG!!

Basically, I've drawn myself into a corner. My subject matter is body modification and what it has to do with the human body. My problem is I'm honestly struggling to think what to actually put in the book! As it is, my sketchbook is full of research on hand-bound books, what kind of book I want to make, research on the human body and soon it'll have my body mod research in it too. I'm just really not sure what to do WITH the research when I have it! I was thinking about putting in stuff about tribal modification, irreversible modification, amputations, that kinda thing. Not necessarily just piercings and tattoos! And I still have NO idea what to do about the box...and I need to have ALL THIS DONE BY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Argh.

So yeah I have a favour to ask of all my lovely readers :) if you have ANY ideas what I could do about either the content of the book or the box, let me know! Also, another idea I had was putting in pictures of peoples tattoos and their reasons behind them (completely anonymously of course), so if any of you have a story you wish to share about your inkage, again let me know! You'd all be doing me a HUGE favour!

I also thought I'd share a few photos of what I've done so far, and a couple that are just me being a total artfag :D


















Painty swirls




































Stuff about "Coptic" book binding




































Stuff about handmade books



















Human anatomy on treated paper



















Human body stuff on treated paper




































Pages from a book that I "altered". Every element is from a story about Thomas Chippendale




































Muscles of the face in coloured pencil on treated paper




































Painted muscles of the arm


*phew* there we go!

2 comments:

  1. Steph, this is properly brilliant! I think small section on all the things you have mentioned is a good idea. Also, assuming the book has to be in the box, if you are looking at body modification, perhaps a book binding that shows something of the outer body, and then the box with the modification represented. Like you've taken a layer of as you open the box, like in an anatomy textbook? you could even have the first page of the book showing muscle structure, so that it's threefold.

    I hope that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely loving what you've got so far!

    This is the kind of topic that you could do SO much about, but I think your ideas are awesome. I'm sorry, I can't think of any additions that you can include! And obviously a bit late for tattoo explanations from me (although I don't think mine are extensive enough to be of any relevance lol). Best of luck babe, you're definitely gonna impress! :)

    xXx

    ReplyDelete