Saturday 14 August 2010

Liebe ist fur alle da (or the story of our first wedding anniversary!)



One year on - "To the world you are one person, but to one person you are the world."


So yesterday, the 13th of August 2010, was my hubstand Woody and I's first wedding anniversary. A lot of people have told me the first year is the hardest, but to be perfectly honest we didn't get that atall. Perhaps because we've already lived and acted as though we were married since day dot of our relationship. We've always lived together, dealt with money jointly, all the things that a lot of couples don't start doing until that commitment is made. We don't see it as our first year of marriage but as the 3rd year of our relationship, which is 3 of the happiest years of my life.

As a married friend mentioned in her blog(where she describes marriage beautifully), we know what is it what makes our marriage work. We have fun, laughter, trust, compromise and respect. We take the light things in life lightly, and the serious seriously, and we do it all together with the others help and support. He's my rock, my best friend, my conscience and my voice of reason. We don't live in each others pockets and we do our own things, but we're happiest when spending time with each other because as I said, he's my best friend and there's no one else I'd rather spend time with! We work hard to make and keep each other happy and to make our marriage solid and content. Sure we have our falling outs and hard times, but these are blips on the radar of our happiness, and as such we don't dwell on past arguments or cast things up but move on, because we know what we have is too important to let something silly get in the way.


I love you Woody, oh best beloved xo


NOW! On to our night!

As most of you may know, Woody and I were married in Las Vegas by Elvis last year! Because it was just the two of us and we didn't have any family there we didn't have a wedding cake. I've been dropping hints for pretty much the entire year and I think his mum must have gotten fed up because I got to her house yesterday and was presented with this:


















She got us a cake! She even wrote "Woody" on it which I was very touched by (obviously his mum calls him his proper name!). His daughter made the little bunches of roses at the corners too. I love it! We all had a slice each and it's now sitting in my mums kitchen getting slowly decimated by my neices and sisters!

Because we're both foodies we couldn't think of a better way to spend the evening than going for a nice meal so we decided to go our for dinner. At first we couldn't think where because we were torn between wanting to go somewhere familiar which didn't feel very special, and going somewhere new which was a bit worrying incase the food wasn't very good and let the night down. So after browsing 5pm for ages (holla at Mich who works for them!) we decided to go to The Blind Pig on Byres Road in Glasgow. We heard they did a head-to-toe of pork and seeing as we're both big fans of nose-to-tail eating, it sounded perfect.

Oh, and it was.

First the decor is spectacular. As Woody mentioned it all looks like Fee of Niche Handmade decorated it! It looks just like her blog and shop!























Look at the cornices and chandeliers and and and...everything!

Even the menu itself was gorgeous! I actually quite liked the way it was presented, just as one large sheet as opposed to a book. I don't like too much choice on menus so this was quite reassuring!

























 We decided to have a big meal seeing as it was a very special ocassion so we had 3 courses and a lovely bottle of Pinot Grigio wine. To start I had the prawn and brown shrimp cocktail (but they had no shrimp which was a shame) which was incredible, and Woody had the smoked mackerel, lemon and herb pate on sourdough bread which was also amazing!




































Then we both had the "Head-To-Toe" of pork which included belly, loin, cheek and trotter. It was my first time trying trotter or cheek so I was a little nervous I needn't have been, it was immense!
























Stunning presentation!


We both had the whiskey pannacotta and coffee for desert than hopped back on the train home. We considered picking up a bottle of wine for in the house but were both too shattered to think about drinking more so we just headed back to mine. 

A wonderful night was had by all! Here's to many more!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your anniversary cake looks delicious!

    And so does that pate.

    And now my tummy is rumbling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that restaurant looks amazing! When I win the lottery and buy my mansion in Alaska, that's exactly how I'm going to decorate it. I'm now craving whisky pannacotta. Damn you! *shakes fist*

    Congratulations to you both. Hopefully see you later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww so glad you both had a good day :D

    Very touching post as well... you hopeless romantic, you... lol :P x

    ReplyDelete